Las Vegas, NV; September 13, 2023 – The excitement at PACK EXPO Las Vegas was at an all-time high as the champions of the 2023 Amazing Packaging Race were announced today. Coordinated by show producer PMMI, The Association for Packaging and Processing Technologies, and sponsored by Emerson, the race showcased the remarkable skills of 23 teams comprised of participants from schools across the United States. The competition stood out as an impressive display of quick wit and determination as teams competed to conquer a series of challenges spanning nearly 1 million net square feet of exhibit space.
Team 18, including Raya Sall from Michigan State University, Alexis Sarellano Tellez from San Jose State University, Emmery Sayers from Clemson University, and Remy Schimick from Clemson University, emerged as champions in an outstanding display of creativity, strategy, and talent. These four students outperformed the competition with quick-witted social media strategies and show floor tactics, reaching more exhibitors and completing assignments faster than their opponents. Each member of Team 18 took home $1,000 in prize money for their achievement.
Team seven, Ryan Gertner from Virginia Tech, Marta Ghigo from Virginia Tech, Luke Hambrick from University of North Texas, and Nick Harpstead from University of Wisconsin-Stout took second place.
“The Amazing Packaging Race is always such a great opportunity for us to engage with students and support the next generation of industry leaders,” says Kate Fioranti, director of workforce development at PMMI. “We are proud of all the participants; their teamwork and determination are impressive. Thank you to the participating exhibitors and to Emerson for sponsoring another great race!”
Competing students represented 13 schools across the country, including:
- California Polytechnic State University
- Clemson University
- Michigan State University
- Rochester Institute of Technology
- San Jose State University
- University of California, Davis
- University of North Texas
- University of Wisconsin-Stout
- Virginia Tech
Participating exhibitors included:
- Allen Field Company Inc.
- B&R Industrial Automation Corp.
- Baumer hhs
- Beckhoff Automation LLC
- Econocorp, Inc.
- Fallas Automation, Inc.
- Fox IV Technologies, Inc.
- Hoosier Feeder Company
- IoPP (Institute of Packaging Professionals)
- Lenze Americas
- Linmot USA, Inc.
- Morrison Container Handling Solutions
- Pacteon Group
- Paper Machinery Corporation
- Plastipak Packaging, Inc.
- Shurtape Technologies, LLC
- SICK, Inc.
- Siemens Digital Industries
- Starview Packaging Machinery Inc.
- WLS (Weiler Labeling Systems)